Monday 16 July 2012

Estoy en casa

¡Hola amigos.


I don't really have much to write about, seeing as I am a very dull person. However, I have just returned from Spain and it really highlighted certain language barriers. 

For example, in the hotel we stayed in, there was only one other group of people who has English as their first language. Yet that did not stop any interactions between myself and other hotel guests. The main languages I could pick out were Spanish, German and French. 

The main point, which I am poorly communicating, is that all of our conversations (excluding hello, goodbye and thank you) were in English. I do not believe that I am alone in this. As a country, our basic grasp on other European languages is poor. This point was emphasised when I couldn't understand a cry for help, from a young child, coming from the pool. Some poor unsupervised child was struggling, and it took for his head to start dipping below the water, for me to notice what was going on. I did help him, but I felt bad for not getting there sooner. Luckily. he was okay.

Therefore, I have decided that I will make an effort to improve my language skills, before visiting another foreign country. I do intend to go on holiday with some of my friends next year, so at least I have plenty of time. 


ps, why was the Higgs announcement in Comic Sans, I'm still laughing about it now.

pps, my results day is exactly a month today. I genuinely feel sick with nerves. This month is going to be a long one.

No comments:

Post a Comment